5 % NaOH Solution
To make a 5% w/v NaOH solution, you will need to weigh out 50 grams of NaOH and dissolve it in 1000 milliliters of distilled water.
- First, Weight 50 grams of NaOH using a Weighing Balance.
- Next, add the NaOH to a clean container, such as a beaker or graduated cylinder.
- Slowly and carefully, makeup with distilled water in a 1000ml volumetric Flask.
- Stir the solution until the NaOH is completely dissolved.
- Label the container as NaOH 5% solution and the date of preparation.
It is important to add the solid NaOH to the water, not the other way around, as it can cause a dangerous exothermic reaction. Be careful when handling NaOH as it is a highly caustic substance.