Scouring Loss in Silk Textiles Materials
This SOPs prescribes a method for determining the scouring loss in silk textiles materials.
A known amount of sample is scoured with mild soap and soda solution. The loss in weight is determined and expressed as a percentage of the dry weight of the sample.
- Weighing bottles – with stopper
- Oven – 105° to 110°C
- Beaker 250 ml
- Sodium carbonate- 1 percent.
- Soap solution – preferably olive oil soap
- Take a test specimen of about 5 g in a previously tarred weighing bottle.
- Dry the test specimen in the drying oven at 110°C for two hours, cool in a Dessicator
- Weigh accurately to nearest 2 mg and calculate the oven dry weight of test specimen.
- Take the dried specimen in beaker and boil it gently for 1 hour with 150 ml of soap solution.
- After one hour, squeeze the test specimen and transfer to a beaker containing 150 ml of sodium carbonate solution and boil for half an hour.
- Take out the test specimen; wash it thoroughly with hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Again dry the test specimen in oven for 2 hours, weigh to constant mass.
- Determine the oven dry weight of the test specimen.
Calculate the scouring loss by the following formula
Scouring loss, percent = 100 x (W1 – W2) / W
- W1 = oven dry weight, in g, of the specimen before scouring.
W2 = oven dry weight, in g, of the specimen after scouring
REFERANCE: – IS 1582:1968- determination of scouring loss in silk textiles materials.