Standard Operating Procedure(SOPs) for UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Start by preparing a sample according to the specific method for the substance being analyzed.
- Turn on the spectrophotometer and allow it to warm up for the appropriate amount of time.
- Select the appropriate wavelength range and measurement mode (e.g. absorbance, transmittance).
- Place the sample in the sample compartment and close the lid.
- Run a blank measurement using a reference sample, such as distilled water or a solvent that the substance being analyzed is dissolved in.
- Run the measurement using the actual sample.
- Record the absorbance or transmittance values and any other relevant data.
- Clean the spectrophotometer and sample compartment after use.
- It’s important to consult the user manual of the specific spectrophotometer you are using as the different instruments may have slight variations in their operation.